Thoughts from me - a preacher's wife, farmer's daughter, mom, and nurse. Posts are mainly intended to help me journal the events of my life - topics will include kids, church, work, marriage, life in general,
and of course my dogs . . . and whatever else I feel compelled to write about.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Summer Reading

The house rule for the summer is no tv during the day - there are just too many other things all of us need to be doing instead of watching tv. We have multiple projects that need done and it's going to take all of us chipping in to get them done.

Brian and the boys' ongoing summer projects are cleaning and organizing the garage, thinning out our vehicles, and working in the yard. Megan and I are working on redecorating her room and trying to finish some half-done inside projects as well as just trying to keep the day to day things done.

In addition to working on projects, summer is a good time to focus on things that get pushed to the side during the school year. I like it that the boys have more time to play guitar and Megan has time to play the piano.

Just like I do every summer, I told the kids that I wanted them to read this summer. Megan typically reads several books during the summer. She enjoys historical books, both fiction and nonfiction, and fantasy. Levi doesn't read books necessarily but always has his nose in a magazine. He enjoys technical reading - he reads magazine articles and online articles about building things and working on things - Jeeps mostly. Joel reads comic books - just like his dad.

In order to encourage summer reading Brian bought each of the kids a book:

Megan - Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II (Sounds like a good book - I will probably borrow it when she's finished.)

Levi - Whoosh Boom Splat: The Garage Warrior's Guide to Building Projectile Shooters and Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices (Typical "Levi reading" - I think I need to find the fire extinguisher!)

Joel - DC's Greatest Imaginary Stories" 11 Tales You Never Expected to See! (I'm sure Brian will borrow this book when Joel is done with it.)

Who needs television!

No comments: