Thoughts from me - a preacher's wife, farmer's daughter, mom, and nurse. Posts are mainly intended to help me journal the events of my life - topics will include kids, church, work, marriage, life in general,
and of course my dogs . . . and whatever else I feel compelled to write about.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Keeping things in perspective

I am having some major dental work done tomorrow morning at 8am. I'm not looking forward to it to say the least, but I am looking forward to not being in pain.

I will be the first to admit that I am not a very good patient. I rarely take all of my prescribed medication, I usually don't follow doctor's orders, and I always wait until it's an emergency to be seen. I am everything I hate in a patient.

The dentist gave me a prescription for some high-powered antianxiety medicine that he wanted me to take before my appointment - but I don't think I'm going to take it. I think it would cause me more anxiety worrying about what the antianxiety drug was going to do to me than I would have just not taking it.

It's so easy to become self-absorbed - wrapped up in my problems. I schedule patients for procedures all of the time and rarely think twice about it. Biopsies, scopes, port placements . . . makes my dental work look like nothing.

I will try to keep this perspective at 8am tomorrow.

No comments: