Thoughts from me - a preacher's wife, farmer's daughter, mom, and nurse. Posts are mainly intended to help me journal the events of my life - topics will include kids, church, work, marriage, life in general,
and of course my dogs . . . and whatever else I feel compelled to write about.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Joelman


The kids always have chapel every day during the first full week of school - kind of a school revival to get the year off to a good start. This year the school had in a well-known evangelist - so the church decided to have revival services with him of an evening.

Last night was "student night" and Joel got to play his trumpet in the orchestra. He played five congregational hymns and then the orchestra played "Beautiful Savior" as a special.

Our whole family, Brian's mom, and Adam and Tonya from our church went to the revival meeting. It was a really good service. I thoroughly enjoyed the music and the message. It was also nice to reconnect with some people we hadn't seen in a while.

The downside to the evening is that poor Joel ended up sitting at the dining room table at 10:45 pm with a pile of homework. I hate homework - especially on a church night!

What kid can think that late a night? Try doing 15 story problems or learning how to spell lieutenant when it's an hour past your bed time. Joel managed to get through his math and read his literature assignment before going to bed which left his Bible, Science, and History assignments waiting on him this morning.

I was supposed to get him up 45 min. early this morning to finish his work, but I didn't have the heart - and I didn't hear the alarm. Instead of getting up 45 min. early, he was now left with only 45 min. to shower, eat breakfast, and do his remaining homework.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Don't tell Mrs. N., but I wrote his science paragraph about the pH scale for him - I hope I get an A. Joel finished his Bible assignment (which I really hope wasn't about cheating), but he had to leave before getting his history done. Hopefully he will have time before class to get that done.

Because I was doing homework, I didn't have time to make the kids' lunch - which meant I had to send money so they can eat something really nutritious like pepperoni stuffed bread sticks, chips, and a candy bar for lunch.

Which leads me to the conclusion that homework is the cause of the destruction of the family and the decline in society as a whole!

3 comments:

Brian B said...

You should get a lot of Amen from the kids on this one.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree, homework on a church night is just not right. If the teachers feel that they must give homework on Wednesday then make it light.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you could get more than a few kids to join your anti-homework campaign. Seriously, though, that's pretty bad of the school to assign a lot of homework during the week of a revival that they planned.