Thoughts from me - a preacher's wife, farmer's daughter, mom, and nurse. Posts are mainly intended to help me journal the events of my life - topics will include kids, church, work, marriage, life in general,
and of course my dogs . . . and whatever else I feel compelled to write about.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Still Mom


My emotions are raw right now . . . tears are never far away.

It is actually silly to be sad, however, because this is what we set out to accomplish.

Megan has grown from a small 6 lb. 12 oz. infant girl who was dependent on us for everything into a beautiful, mature, fine Christian lady who is ready and capable to care for herself and her husband.

But as a mom, it is hard to let go. It is hard to be done with a job you have worked so hard at doing.

I heard that Da Vinci loved the Mona Lisa so much that he tarried in finishing painting it for 15 years. And that after it was finally finished, he carried it with him wherever he went and never sold it.

The selfish side of me would like to do that with Megan - to keep her at home with me longer.

But truth is - I love her too much to do that.

I love - love. I love being a wife and a mother - and I am looking forward Megan experiencing this and to experiencing the newness of it again through her.

There are so many firsts ahead of her . . . so many exciting days ahead.

In reality I know that even though she is now grown, I will always be her mother - and she will always need me.

I still need my mother - so I know this is true.

I am looking forward to the phone calls asking me:

How long do you bake your meatloaf?
What medicine should I give Adam for his cold?
How do you get cat puke out of the carpet?

It is nice to always be needed.

No comments: